It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: To Buy or Not To Buy... 04' STi
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:14 pm 
OVER 9000 HP!!!

So I have been searching for a very long time to find an STi that I could afford. As we all know I am a Subaru enthusiast stuck in a Mitsubishi drivers seat lol.
Here is what I have found: 04' STi 124,570mi $12,450 located in Vermont.
My delima is that I have to trade in my 11' Lancer ES, which I don't mind giving up but it has 25k on it and it is very reliable. Now I am a technician so any repairs I would have to perform on the STi I can do myself up to and including transmission repairs. Just I would most likely be paying about the same I am currently paying on the Lancer, so any parts I would have to pay for on top of my monthly payment. I need help deciding if I should get the car I have always dreamed of.

Some info not listed on Auto Trader:
New Winter Tires on the aftermarket wheels
OEM Wheels not included
1 Owner traded in car at age of 63 (so I am pretty sure it has not been beaten)
No Modifications other than the aftermarket wheels

So without wurther ado here is the link
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=13212&endYear=2007&modelCode1=IMPWRX&sortBy=distanceASC&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2002&makeCode1=SUB&sellerTypes=d&sellerType=d&searchRadius=200&mmt=%5BSUB%5BIMPWRX%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=337028311&listingIndex=6&Log=0

Post subject: Re: To Buy or Not To Buy... 04' STi
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 pm 
tranny lube party host

I'd be pretty skeptical of the "traded in by a 63 year old" - could be completely legit, but I've never seen a used car that wasn't owned by a "little old lady" (or whatever stereotype fits the bill).

A 125k mile STI could be very reliable, or it could be a basket case requiring thousands of dollars in major repairs. Just make sure to give the car a thorough going through, and do your homework, and you should be able to find a good one. Even still though, you're going to want to have some sort of budget for parts repair. The STI tends to have higher quality parts than any other Subaru - which means that they are stronger and more reliable, but at the same time more expensive when you do need them.

Some things to look for:

1) Check the turbo heat shield, it's a great way to tell if the car was modified and then "returned to stock" for the sale. Many major mods (like a different turbo, or a stage 2 exhaust) will require the heat shield to be removed or modified, and it's very likely that it wasn't replaced as a part of the "return to stock".

2) Have a compression test done (or do one yourself) - should give you a good idea of the condition of the rings. A peak at the plugs while they're out should give an indication of if they were ever replaced (indicating the car got maintenance) or are original (indicating it might have been neglected).

3) Ask to see receipts on if the timing belt has been replaced - if you don't have receipts, budget $400 to replace it yourself.

4) Pulling the intercooler is fairly quick & easy to do, and if there's oil in it the turbo could be on the way out

$12k is a pretty good price for an STI though - almost so good that it would make me nervous.

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:21 am 
OVER 9000 HP!!!

Good info to know. Not going to get what I want for a trade so leaning toward holding off for now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:19 am 
OVER 9000 HP!!!

Passed up on the deal, keeping my eyes open for another. If anyone comes across another STi at a dealership, please let me know, Thanks again Scootin

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 am 
Subie Tech

Scootin159 wrote:
I'd be pretty skeptical of the "traded in by a 63 year old" - could be completely legit, but I've never seen a used car that wasn't owned by a "little old lady" (or whatever stereotype fits the bill).

Back when 08 STi's were 0% financing and $7000 off, my dad bought one and drove it for a year and a half. He was 60 at the time. :ha:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]