It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: possible rod bearing failure?
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 pm 
Subie Fanatic

was wondering if I could get some advice on what may be wrong with my engine to produce this type of sound.

been driving it like that for about a year but some times its prevelent and sometimes its barely there. Last year due to weather i just took my 99 OBS to valvoline instant oil change had them change the oil same weight as subaru recommends. 2 weeks after having it done i stopped at mexico fastrac to get something to drink on my way to work. Left from there and made it to where the school is and i heard a terrible knocking so i took it out of gear and turned the car off as fast as i can. checked the oil dip stick was bone dry. Put in all the oil i had available and drove it like a 90 year old lady to my work until i can fill it to the correct level. Atm i have the option of driving my car done to Bath NY to have brokenboxer.com put in a new EJ22 phase 2 with 100k and with all new gaskets,belts seals and 90 day unlimited mileage warrenty for 1200. Should note the driver side valve gasket cover is leaking a little bit of oil along with all 4 spark plug gaskets. Just wondering if was i was told that it is rod bearing failure and the engine can go ka-put on me at an moment. Any help is appreciated!

video is when the engine is warmed up

Post subject: Re: possible rod bearing failure?
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm 
Major Trou

Didn't watch the video, but if it made that noise and was dry, it's likely. Often, the noise gets loudest around 3k rpms. Check the oil for flakes. Sometimes bearings wear and will knock but are still driveable (though the risk that you might lock up at any time is there). Other times the bearings disentigrate and you're going nowhere.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:20 pm 
Subie Fanatic

I'm hoping it continues to last me until i can figure out what to do. Was suppose to bring it down to bath NY to have broken boxer repair put in a newer engine earlier this week but my friend following me down never got in contact with me.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:39 pm 
Moar Dew.

Craig, is this the same thing that we finished a trip to Rochester, a five hour road rally and a trip back to Syracuse with in your car?

'00 Miata LS, Evolution Orange - Boosty!
'18 Crosstrek, Venetian Red Pearl - Lofty!
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:56 pm 
Professor Failburger!

When I lost a rod bearing, my engine didn't even make it back to Liverpool from the Fairgrounds! You never know how long it will run before failure occurs.

2001 2.5 RS Coupe, Blue Ridge Pearl. #27 SM
2005 Forester XT - Aspen "Stripper" White
2003 Ford Expedition, Moby Dick White. Official CNY Subies Tow Vehicle - its purpose has been fulfilled - good bye!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:37 pm 
Moar Dew.

Thinking back, I believe Cody's car got from the Fairgrounds to... was it the Hess station on Hiawatha, south of Carousel?

'00 Miata LS, Evolution Orange - Boosty!
'18 Crosstrek, Venetian Red Pearl - Lofty!
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:08 am 
Major Trou

LetItSnow wrote:
Craig, is this the same thing that we finished a trip to Rochester, a five hour road rally and a trip back to Syracuse with in your car?

Something like that. Did a trip to EFI logics and back as well and autocrossed it the next day. It hesitated and jerked like crazy on acceleration and ran like crap at the end, but it ran.

Then there's ones like Garrison where the motor seizes up on your way home.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:15 pm 
Subie Fanatic

im praying that does not happen to me. wish it wasnt that type of failure

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 am 
Major Trou

I wouldn't keep driving it. Best case (if you have rodknock) you replace the shortblock. If you keep driving it and send metal through the heads you'll have to replace the entire long block.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:27 pm 
Subie Fanatic

I've got some one following down to bath to get the newer engine put in. Wish i could source a car trailer to tow it down to be safe but all the u-hauls around here seem to only have the car dolly type. Wish the noise was just from my valve gaskets being poop.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm 
Major Trou

It could be. Its hard to diagnose this online. Have someone listen to it n person before dropping a load of money.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:34 am 
Subie Fanatic

i don't honestly know of any one within my area (oswego) atleast that would be knowledgeable about subaru engines.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 am 
Major Trou

Probably any shop could listen to it and say either they don't know, of it's definitely knock. If they tell you definitely, then there's your answer. If they say they don't know, you aren't any further behind.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 pm 
Subie Fanatic

brouth the car down to wheeler NY to broken boxer repair, engine held up but half hour away i think i lost a clutch spring. went to shift from 3rd to 4th pedal felt really loose and a high noisy metal squeel started coming from under the hood. Lucky there were only a couple sharp turns left before it was a straight away to the guys place. Can not wait to get it back monday

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 am 
Subie Fanatic

got the car back today running incredibly smooth now. I did have a rod bearing in my old engine fail ontop of the throwout bearing breaking on me halfway down. Question now is what do I do with the valve cover/ spark plug tube gasket and rocker cover washers. Forgot them at home before i left so he had to use his. Would the dealership I got them from allow me to return them or would I have better luck trying to sell them

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next