It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Local Subie info
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:30 am 
Subie Tech

I posted a WTB ad recently for a friend of friend who is looking for a clean used Outback.

She found one at a local car dealer which looks good.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/ctd/4244399943.html

I don't know anything about this dealer ("Carsville" in E. Syra), and other than generic advice i don't know what to tell her to look for when she checks the car out?

Any recommendations on a local Subie-knowledgeable place for her to take it for a check-over?

Thanks,
-Karl

Post subject: Re: Local Subie info
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:26 am 
tranny lube party host

I think we're up to 3 or 4 people in the parts/service department at Romano who have been members of these boards at one point or another. I used to bring my STI there all the time, and never really had any complaints (at least that I haven't forgotten about).

There's not much "subie specific" to worry about, beyond basic stuff that applies to every car. I can't tell you anything about the auto transmissions, and the engine-specific hot spots to check only really apply to the turbo cars. I did have an issue right around 110k with the variable cam system "clogging" (oil sludge), which would've been a pretty painful repair labor wise. In my case I got lucky though and some additive in the oil for 1000 miles was able to clear it up for good. No special checks for that though - it throws a check engine light when it happens. I have heard that head gaskets can be an issue on the n/a cars, but unless you know a trick, I don't know a non-destructive way to check their state.

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Post subject: Re: Local Subie info
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:08 am 
Subie Tech

Thanks!

I do own a combustion gas checker for detecting combustion gases present in coolant. Simple chemical test, and I can tell you that it works (although I've only used it on BMWs).

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]