It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stretching tires and AutoX
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:57 am 
Subie Tuner

I have my sights on a set of 18x9.5 wheels and look to get one more season out of the zii's (245/40/18) and would plan to stretch them over the 9.5's but worry about the tire integrity for autox--concerns/opinions?

PS-- I don't plan on running another set of wheels/tires for autox until I get better.

2011 Satin White Pearl STi #34 ASP

IG -- @shellshocksti

Post subject: Re: Stretching tires and AutoX
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 pm 
tranny lube party host

Looked up the specs on those tires from Dunlop, and they recommend a rim width range of 8"-9.5"... so straight from the horse's mouth... you should be ok.

Stretching a tire like that will often cause it to be more responsive as well, so it might actually help improve performance. The trade-offs of going too wide in wheels (beyond obvious fitment issues) is that eventually you're just adding unsprung rotating mass for no real gain, and in extreme cases you can start running into tire stability issues (i.e., poping off the rim).

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Post subject: Re: Stretching tires and AutoX
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 pm 
Subie Fanatic

Going hella flush, eh? :-)

If even dunlop says it's okay, then that should be most of what you need. I've seen 245's on 9" rims, and that looks a little stretched, but that dude wins, so...

Be prepapred to potentially change your tire pressures when you do this. Reason 1: The sidewall will be providing a slightly different level of support than before. Reason dos: might need to fight the sidewall rolling over more than before. Don't want to rub the rim on pavement. This from a guy who runs his tires outside of the opposite end of recommendations, so, FWIW, YMMV, etc.

-Mike #24 GS

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]