It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: oil pan swap?? and dipstick not working properly..
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:40 pm 
Subie Driver

Ive recently changed my oil pan for the 3rd time, first one had a rust spot leak, second had a bad weld. I had this same problem occur on the second pan as well as the latest.

The problem is the dipstick does not even come close to reading the proper level, and looks as if it is over filled with oil, that is not the case. The dipstick has about 3 times as much oil on is then it should. Any ideas as to what the problem might be.

this is on my04xt, this is also the original dipstick and tube, that worked fine on the first pan when i bought the car.

thanks wveryone, have a good day.

Post subject: Re: oil pan swap?? and dipstick not working properly..
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:10 pm 
Major Trou

What pan do you have? there are three different pans (2.0, pre 05 2.5 and post 05 2.5) there are also three dipsticks, tubes are all the same.

The dipstick, if original, will always show the correct oil height (not necessarily the correct volume). You say it's reading too high, but it isn't. I'm assuming you measured the volume you put in. If the dipstick shows it too high...it is.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:01 am 
Subie Driver

oil was measured on input both times I changed the pan, the first time the pan was changed i bought a new identical pan to what was on the car, big squarish pan. reused dipstick and tube. when checking the oil level after putting in 4.5ish quarts, the dipstick itself was showing a good amount of oil almost 3 inches above full mark. seemed to me that oil was going up the tube and maybe a gromet on the tube was bad. Anyways that pan was trash and had a bad weld, onto the next pan. this last one was said to have come off a 2004 forester xt, but i was unsure as the drain plug was on oposite side, and it looked as if a corner has squashed in. after some research it seems to be the right pan, installed no hitches tube went in great with new gromets, refilled with 4.5 quarts, and still the dipstick shows oil well above where it should be, this level hasnt really changed much even with the small leak from the afrermarket drain plug.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:22 am 
Major Trou

The big square pan has a higher total capacity so when full, the oil level is low (meaning the vertical height of the oil, not the total volumetric level). With the STI style pan, the total capacity is lower so that when filled to the correct volumetric level, the vertical height of the oil is higher. The dipsticks for the old pan are longer so if used with the new style pan it will show you way overfilled height wise even if it's the correct volume wise.

You must match the pan to the dipstick.

Check out this post I made over on FFR.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthre ... -Dipsticks

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:02 pm 
Subie Driver

thank you for the info sir. have a good day.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]