It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Frustrating issue with rear brake pads
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:22 am 
O.G.E.

Last night I was doing a standard rotor and brake pad change (09 WRX). Everything was going fine until I went to put the new rear pads in the caliper bracket. I worked on it for an hour and I could not get the brake pad into the caliper. The only way I could get it into the caliper was by removing one of the clips that goes into the caliper bracket to provide a little more clearance. It's as if the replacement brake pads were just a tiny bit too long. But I had to be able to drive my car, so that's how I put it back together for now. When I drove it to work this morning, the rear pads didn't seem noticeably warmer than the front, but it clearly looked like there was uneven contact on the new rotor.

I got the pads from RockAuto (Centrix 10511140), and they took care of return shipping back and I have some new pads (different brand) on their way to me. I'll have the new pads by tuesday to install. But I'm worried about my new rotor. Should I do some light sanding to remove any uneven deposits? Or will my new rotors be screwed? Any thoughts?

https://goo.gl/photos/aLxgDDxWVhRsUM3z9

Post subject: Re: Frustrating issue with rear brake pads
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:56 am 
OVER 9000 HP!!!

Did you clean the buildup out from underneath the clips that are between your bracket and pads? Too much build up will make it nearly impossible to get those pads in there and really you want to be able to slide those pads in nicely so they can move back and forth with brake application. Also you should be fine without any sanding on the rotor, you haven't been driving it long so I would just get the pads fitting nicely and then get a few hard brake stops should even out on it's own.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:53 am 
O.G.E.

Subieman_Dan wrote:
Did you clean the buildup out from underneath the clips that are between your bracket and pads? Too much build up will make it nearly impossible to get those pads in there and really you want to be able to slide those pads in nicely so they can move back and forth with brake application. Also you should be fine without any sanding on the rotor, you haven't been driving it long so I would just get the pads fitting nicely and then get a few hard brake stops should even out on it's own.

Yeah, took a wire brush to them pretty good. Spoke to RockAuto and they marked it up as a defect so they will refund the amount and pay to ship them back. I have new pads showing up (different brand) on Saturday so I'll see how that goes.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:44 am 
OVER 9000 HP!!!

I have also sanded a little off of the two ears on the brake pad to get them to move as well. Sometimes aftermarket quality control is not 100% even with a good brand.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:06 pm 
Major Trou

I've had to grind the ears on several brands of pads to make them fit. A lot of times the ears have a little piece welded to it and it isn't placed/welded the best.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]