It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 73mm hub rings
Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:46 pm 
Subie Tech

Anyone have a set? I don't care about the inner size. I bought some RPF1s, which all research shows they have a 73mm bore. I got some 60.1 - 73mm and they are just a smidge too big. I am trying to determine if the rings I got are wrong, or its the wheels.. I have not been able to get hold of the previous owner to verify if he had them and what size.

They are close, I pounded them with my fist and they weren't going in. I have never had to hit a set harder than that. actually I don't know if I have ever had to force them in a set of wheels.

Wheels are powder coated, wouldn't expect a layer of that to effect it either, but throwing it out there.

Post subject: Re: 73mm hub rings
Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:10 pm 
tranny lube party host

Madlife wrote:
Wheels are powder coated, wouldn't expect a layer of that to effect it either, but throwing it out there.

That very well may be your problem. If the coating is 0.5mm (the value I got from a quick google search), then you now have 72mm hub wheels. If you have an accurate set of calipers, you can verify this by just measuring the bore size.

If the powdercoating is the issue, I'd recommend having it shaved off the bore surface - that will allow you to get a metal-on-metal mating surface there. If you go with a smaller hub ring, then they might loosen up if the powdercoating chips in the future.

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:39 pm 
Subie Tech

Scootin159 wrote:
Madlife wrote:

That very well may be your problem. If the coating is 0.5mm (the value I got from a quick google search), then you now have 72mm hub wheels. If you have an accurate set of calipers, you can verify this by just measuring the bore size.

If the powdercoating is the issue, I'd recommend having it shaved off the bore surface - that will allow you to get a metal-on-metal mating surface there. If you go with a smaller hub ring, then they might loosen up if the powdercoating chips in the future.

0.5mm thick? poo. That is probably it. It was damn close, but not quite. I tried tapping it in with a rubber mallet and it started to go in, but i noticed it was pushing up on the coating. I'll knock it out and sand it off so it doesnt cause peeling out where you can see it.

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:35 am 
Subie Fanatic

If those wheels didn't come off the same car, then chances are the hub rings wouldn't have worked anyway. Learned that when I re-purposed the civic's wheels for the fr-s. I forget if I just called Tire Rack or went straight for Gorilla, but either of them can straighten you out for about 20 bucks.

-Mike #24 GS

Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:33 am 
tranny lube party host

Trqless Wonder wrote:
If those wheels didn't come off the same car, then chances are the hub rings wouldn't have worked anyway. Learned that when I re-purposed the civic's wheels for the fr-s. I forget if I just called Tire Rack or went straight for Gorilla, but either of them can straighten you out for about 20 bucks.

How do you figure? A 73mm hole is a 73mm hole, is it not? Sure there are plenty of other sizing considerations as well (width, backspacing, bolt pattern, lug nut/bolt size & thread pitch, lug nut/bolt seat type & angle, lug nut OD), but if all the numbers match up or you adjust for them appropriately, then you can make it work.

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]