It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ever wonder what $2500 looks like?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 am 
Major Trou

Here's how it looked as I found it this morning.

Frikkin dog is lucky I didn't shove the toxic circuit boards and battery down his throat. Hearing with 1 hearing aid is like trying to pass a depth perception test with 1 eye closed.

The best part? The brother in-law's wedding is a week from Saturday and the entire family (read, every single last aunt, uncle, and cousin) will be there and most of them haven't met me. The rest of the family already things I'm mildly retarded because I can't hear. Hmm...won't this be fun. The non vietnamese, non doctor (or other prestigous career), non catholic white boy in a room full of an (estimated) 400 vietnamese catholics who all think their kids have the best job (or better be working towards it) yet they are all mostly manual laborers themselves.

F.

:diaf:

Post subject: Re: Ever wonder what $2500 looks like?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 am 
Fiber Helps Me Go Faster

You have a dog? Do you have a case to put your hearing aids into when you take them out? Sorry, same thing I tell people when a dog eats their glasses, it's a habit of mine.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:32 am 
Major Trou

Yeah, I have a case for them. I should be glad that he didn't manage to get both of them since they were in the same container right next to each other.

Or...maybe if Huong put the dog back in the cage after she took him out at 5am and went back to sleep he wouldn't have been wandering about eating stuff.

We got the dog about a month ago.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:43 am 
Subie Tuner

Ouch.

I honestly laughed though

2011 Satin White Pearl STi #34 ASP

IG -- @shellshocksti

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:01 am 
I have cookies and balls.

That sux. Part of the reason I am really glad we have pets that can't eat or destroy any of our stuff.

How long will it take to get a new one?

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:00 am 
Major Trou

kitkat wrote:

Don't know. I got these in 05. I think this particular one might be discontinued. It was a top of the lineone when I got it. Oticons new top end hearing aids are now $5k a piece.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:15 am 
tranny lube party host

Mechie3 wrote:
kitkat wrote:

Don't know. I got these in 05. I think this particular one might be discontinued. It was a top of the lineone when I got it. Oticons new top end hearing aids are now $5k a piece.

Does medical insurance cover any of that cost?

Quote:
We got the dog about a month ago.

About the same here - except two months ago now. He hasn't destroyed anything of value yet, but luckily there's not much of value to be found in his region of the house.

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:32 am 
Major Trou

Scootin159 wrote:
Does medical insurance cover any of that cost?

Nope. I paid for them originally out of pocket my senior year of college. Have to do the same thing now. Unfortunately, the first time I bought them I planned for it 6 months prior and saved money. This time, I just bought a house and mortgage is due Sept 1 and we just bought a washer and dryer last night. It wouldn't be that bad, but the money for the washer dryer is next paycheck...in 2 weeks. It will all work out in the end, but I don't like pushing finances to the limit, leaving a balance on a credit card, or spending $2500 on something I already had instead of something I want (like....diffs or new tires).

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:05 pm 
Moar Dew.

I worked with a guy at NPG whose dog "ate" his digital camera... back when they weren't cheap! :wha:

'00 Miata LS, Evolution Orange - Boosty!
'18 Crosstrek, Venetian Red Pearl - Lofty!
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:57 am 
Major Trou

Well...this is what $2500 looks like today, sort of. I had to toss an extra $400 on top, but it was worth it. Turns out the pricing info I had was way off. The new version with a new chip was $2900. There's no way I was paying $2500 for yesterday's tech when today's is just a handful more.

In the end, I'm kind of glad the dog ate my hearing aid. I wasn't planning on getting new ones for a while. My hearing test showed that my top end (4khz-8khz) had dropped off. My current aids weren't programmed for that much gain so I was missing lots of that stuff. The chart below shows different sounds, noises, etc and at what hz and what decibel level they are at. My low end is about 70 (that's a 70 db loss from normal) while my high end loss in my right ear drops to 110, about 90 in my left. Sounds in that range are things like "F,s,t,h" (which is why my S and SH sound the same often because I can't hear the difference when I'm speaking them). Word recognition with familiar words (non technical) was 72% without aids.

The new hearing aids have a few cool features (some I can't take advantage of until I get a new one for the right ear) including a smaller package, increased frequency response to 10khz (most aids only go to 7 or 8 ), and bluetooth. With 2 of these, the hearing aids talk to each other to locate important sounds and preserve location. They can also hook up to a small transmitter (I don't have yet) that can interface with a cell phone, any AUX hookup (mp3 anyone?), or the tv. Sweet.

This version also doesn't have different maps so to say. My old ones had selectable maps, this has automatic switching within milliseconds. No need to push buttons all the time, it will do it for me. I no longer have trouble with speaker phone teleconferences, could hear someone in a convertible while driving at 65mph, and didn't have trouble understanding Huong's (my?) uncles or hot cousins.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:45 am 
Scooby Snack

My dad has some pimper ones than yours, though he has less damage. You can't tell he is wearing his, and his are hooked up to his I-phone so he has tunes on the sly every where.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:29 pm 
Major Trou

Yeah, I can't have those. Those are usually good for people with 30dB loss, not 110. :? Those are super slick. You can't see them except for a mini antennae that is practically invisible. Maybe someday (they'll grow new cochlea's from stem cells).

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:31 pm 
Scooby Snack

My dad works on stem cells..... (sorry to rub it in man)

I saw a study a few days ago, they tried injecting peoples cochlea with their own lab grown stem cells, with positive results. I might start up a line of correspondence with that lab if I were you. Stem cells can differentiate into cancer, but, but, maybe it's safe. It's in the pipeline.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:13 pm 
Major Trou

nich0lai wrote:
My dad works on stem cells..... (sorry to rub it in man)

I saw a study a few days ago, they tried injecting peoples cochlea with their own lab grown stem cells, with positive results. I might start up a line of correspondence with that lab if I were you. Stem cells can differentiate into cancer, but, but, maybe it's safe. It's in the pipeline.

:unamused: Way to rub it in jerkhead. :swg:

You told me about a lab in england a couple years ago. I don't think it's rubbing it in, more offering hope or showing how things are going. Have a link to the study? I've always considered myself at least lucky enough to have my hearing problems in an age that can effectively deal with it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:23 pm 
Scooby Snack

http://latermmegi.queeredin.com/2009/09 ... searchers/

"fingers crossed"

If somehow you ever got into a trial program, make sure you dropped my dad a line first. He's kinda the man, they even site him in wiki on stem cells, lol.

I'll look for a better article later.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next