It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Customer Service Horror Stories
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:16 pm 
I have cookies and balls.

Ok...having an ok day but an really getting sick of stupid people. Let's hear how many of you have tales of customer service gone wrong.
Or if you are like me and have to talk to many stupid people a day what is the more irritating thing you deal with.

I'm sure we can get some really good stories here. I really want to write a book of what not to do when calling into a call center for help!

Post subject: Re: Customer Service Horror Stories
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:01 pm 
Major Trou

Back when I worked at Wegmans I had an older lady get super pissed at me. This happened back in....2001 or 2002? The problem? I was scanning too fast and she couldn't see the numbers I was typing in. More specifically I entered the code "4011" for bananas. Does it matter that bananas are 4011? no. What matters is that after I hit enter the screen says "bananas, $X/lb, total: $Y". But no...this wasn't good enough. I could understand if she thought my bagging technique was bad, but I got so many written customer satisfaction papers that said I was the best bagger people had ever had that I wouldn't have believed that either.

Didn't matter that Wegmans requires an average of 18 scans per minute in express lanes, or that she had an entire small shopping cart full in the 15 items or less line, or....the major pet peeve of all cashiers, she wanted double paper bags. Inside plastic. Yes, that's right. For every bagged item she wanted three bags. Three. Really? You don't realize that the strength of the handle doesn't change no matter how many layers you put inside right?

She got pissed and started screaming "I want to speak to your manager, I need a manger, I'm writing you up!" Up walks my manager Daryl. I'm not sure how Daryl got to be a manger at Wegmans. He didn't fit the mold of clean cut, conservative, or success driven. Rather, he was friendly, cared more about others than climbing the ladder, and at times, had a blue dyed goatee that was a long as Matt Manchu's. All I can think is that he was liked enough by others and he did good enough work that they looked over this. Still, he didn't like his job and left for the Peace Corps for several years. (now I wonder what became of him?).

Anyways, Daryl walks over and says "How can I help you ma'am?" She yells, "I want to write him up, where's his manager". Darryl says, "well, I'm his manager, how can I help you?" "I want to write him up", she said. Darryl replied "Ok ma'am, I'll have him written up". The lady's order was done by then and she left. As she did the lady behind her said, "Darryl, I just want to let you know, Craig did nothing wrong, he was doing an excellent job". The guy behind her said, "Yeah, she was just a confused bitch". :ha:

Darryl said to me, "you all right buddy? I'm not going to write you up. She was just being a bitch".

For some reason, I also recall she was purchased a wooden ruler. That, and I was working in Lane 19 at Latta Road Wegmans which was the handicapped express lane.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:06 pm 
Scooby Snack

I mainly have the opposite. Lately I've decided my point on the planet is to be the filter for bad customer service. I think I got half a dealership fired this month. They are advertising for all the posts I wrote a letter about anyways!

Really, customers don't bother me near as much as bad businesses do. Worst I can think of is I had to kick a guy in a wheelchair out of my bar for coming in with a 40oz and a foley catheter which kept leaking on my floor, or maybe the time this guy yelled at me for an hour because we messed up his computer (totally our fault), or the woman who never plugged in her machine (she did plug in the monitor) and kept bringing it back to us because it was "broken" (not an urban legend).

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:35 pm 
tranny lube party host

nich0lai wrote:
or the woman who never plugged in her machine (she did plug in the monitor) and kept bringing it back to us because it was "broken" (not an urban legend).

Twice this year I've had equipment mailed to me because "it won't turn on". I then turned on the power switch (they're the physical type that stay in either the "on" or "off" position), and mailed them back. Obviously I also did our typical series of tests on them to make sure there wasn't another issue, but nope, that was it.

On that same note, a few years ago I had a customer who had a recurring issue of her handheld batteries dying. As a bit of back-reference, our handhelds (aka glorified palm pilots), are designed to be charged overnight in a charging base (incidentally the same piece of hardware mailed in for the "power button fault" above). After much back & forth (including us replacing all the batteries and inspecting the hardware), we eventually got a email nearly 6 months later reading: "Found the problem - cradles were on a wall switch".

Turns out, every night they would place the handhelds with fully-operational batteries into fully-operational cradles. The handhelds would display "charging", and then they would leave for the night. On the way out the door, they would turn off the lights, promptly "unplugging" the cradles. They would come in the next morning, turn on the lights, and the handhelds would still say "charging", but have the same (low) battery % left.

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:45 pm 
tranny lube party host

Another "winner":

Several years ago when I was working overnights @ Wal-Mart, I was stocking the shelves in the bottled water isle. An older lady came by and started opening all of the boxes still on the pallet I was working from. Curious as to what she was doing, I asked "can I help you?" She responds that she was looking for the "freshest" bottle. :roll:

1) It's "Great Value" water, which is essentially bottled from the tap in the back room
2) All the stuff on the pallet obviously came in on the same truck (there was still some shrink wrap on the pallet)
3) All the stuff on the shelf (ok, 99%), came off that same pallet just 3 minutes ago
4) It's Water! Not only does it not expire (there were no dates on the bottles), but the "freshest" stuff is still millions of years old (if you subscribe to the "old earth" theory).

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 pm 
Major Trou

My wife likes to buy bottled water. I don't get it. Yeah, it's nice to have it colder than tap, and the tap in some places doesn't taste great, but she can't do without it. I'll go cup my hands under the faucet or, my favorite that really grosses her out, I'll be gardening and simply spray the hose in a calm arc and drink like a drinking fountain.

I even showed her where Great Value water is municipal water from somewhere in ohio. She didn't care.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:32 pm 
Subie Tech

yeah, most of my customer service woes come from when I did workstudy fixing the college issued laptops.
when a college kid thinks the college "gave" them a laptop (you paid for in your tuition, bonehead) they tend to treat it like it doesn't belong to them. way too many people who would come in saying playing dumb saying "it won't turn on" when it OBVIOUSLY reeks to high heaven of beer/coffee/soda or in the worst case ever, urine. every day I was thankful that I wasn't the one who did hardware repairs

re: bottled water
I live in farm territory... when it rains, my water turns brown. doesn't take rocket science to figure out what I'm drinking if I drink the tap water :poo:

I will gladly pay not to drink poo shakes

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:42 pm 
I have cookies and balls.

I deal with stupid people all day long. What I have is advice to for someone who will be calling a customer service rep:

1) Have your contract number available
2) Have a pen and paper
3)Write down the date, time and name of who you speak with
4) Listen to what we say. We really don't like repeating ourselves because you are not paying attention.
All common sense you would think but oh no.

Here are some things not to do:
1) Dont'e eat on the phone, no one wants to hear that.
2) Don't use the bathroom on the phone, you never hang up before flushing and we all laugh about it!
3) Do not yell at us, we don't like it, we won't help you and chances are we won't be nice about it either.
4) Please no matter how you normally talk to your friends remember we do not speak your slang. So if you can not communicate in an educated fashion get a friend to call with you.

Those are just a few for now. I'm sure we should all be able to build on this.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]