It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grunt "Buy 'murrican" for hypocrisy.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 pm 
Moar Dew.

Since the Toyota recalls hit the news, the Post Standard has been printing letters to the editor suggesting that these runaway Camrys and kin are a perfect reason to buy American [cars].

A saner logic just suggests that avoiding Toyotas avoids a known potential problem, but let's all grunt "Buy 'murrican!" together!

An even better logic suggests examining track records through history. Should we avoid the most substantially recalled manufacturers? Makes sense by grunter logic. Let's go:

#10) 3.7 million 1986-1991 Hondas and Acuras (every one built), for seat belt buckles.
#9) 3.7 million 1949-1969 Volkswagens (every one sold in the U.S.), for wiper arm bolts.
#8) 3.7 million 1971-1973 GMs (full-sized cars), for risk of jamming steering gear.
#7) 4.0 million 1970-1971 Fords (every one built), for seat belt buckles.
#6) 4.5 million 1992-2003 Fords (assorted cars and trucks), for potential cruise control fires. Second wave.
#5) 4.5 million 1994-2002 Fords (most of its trucks), for potential cruise control fires. First wave.
#4) 5.6 million (and counting) Lexuses and Toyotas (a growing list), for unintended acceleration.
#3) 5.8 million 1978-1981 GMs (mid-size cars), for potential sudden front suspension collapse.
#2) 6.7 million 1965-1969 GMs (Bel Air, pickup, Camaro, etc.), for potential engine mount failure, causing jammed throttles.
#1) 7.9 million 1988-1993 Fords (most models), for potential ignition switch fires.

Re: #6 - I saw a Mercury Grand Marquis burn in the NPG parking lot. Neat, but bad.

It looks like all the big guys have had their moments. Naturally, this is just the top ten list; I'd like to see (and share with the grunters) the tally from smaller dangerous recalls.

Maybe it's just me - I'd rather have my throttle stuck than have steering loss or, say, a fire... :di:

SO BUY 'MURRICAN!!! :ha:

'00 Miata LS, Evolution Orange - Boosty!
'18 Crosstrek, Venetian Red Pearl - Lofty!
Image Image

Post subject: Re: Grunt "Buy 'murrican" for hypocrisy.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:10 pm 
tranny lube party host

Another few "buy murrican" counter-points:

1) Toyota didn't have these issues before they started making their cars in the US
2) The problematic part (the throttle pedal) is manufactured in the US by a US sub-contractor
3) Most GM, Fords & Dodges aren't manufactured in the US, but Toyota IS - which is more "murrican"?
4) In nearly all of the accidents related to this, the primary issue has been the loose nut behind the wheel (which is also likely "murrican made")

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:19 pm 
tranny lube party host

Also, FWIW, larger recalls are more the result of larger sales than poorer designs. The more telling statistic would be the % of total sales recalls - or even better the "death rate" to total sales ratio.

I'd rather have a car which has killed 100 people per 10 million sold (~0.0001%) than a car which has killed 5 people per 4000 sold (~0.1%).

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:55 pm 
I have cookies and balls.

Ha-ha GM just announced another recall for power steering problems. Gotta love it!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:57 pm 
Miss March

I wish my Camry was made in Japan :(

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:33 pm 
Subie Tuner

lol rich.....another thing that didnt get much press.... ford of china was using the same company to make its throttle pedal assemblies....they had to stop all production...and the cobalt recall i wondered about as well after seeing how the power steering works in those....they have a a rather large electric motor under the dash attached to the steering column ...the column continues down to a manual steering rack....so you can never lose steering but it could be hard to steer at low speeds so gramma might have issues..

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:10 pm 
Major Trou

Yup, gm recalled 05+ cobalts and g5s. Pedals are made in indy, iirc. They claim they are made to toyotas spec and the design is at fault.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:15 pm 
Scooby Snack

Holy poo. I can't believe I agree with you guys totally. Round of applause. :ha:

I'm starting to think we're living in Idiocracy.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:06 pm 
Subie Fanatic

kitkat wrote:
Ha-ha GM just announced another recall for power steering problems. Gotta love it!

The car I traded in for my Impreza was a '05 Cobalt. I never had this issue (Electrically Assisted Steering would go resulting in pretty much no power assisted steering), but the entire front end of my car was replaced in numerous steps. My car had a loud clunk in the front end, especially noticeable when loading up the front end (heavy braking going downhill over bumps). Over the course of a few visits to the dealer, I had new tie rod, control arm, suspension, all new bushings, and eventually a new steering gearbox, although none of these have anything to do with the electric steering motor, I'm surprised mine never went since I drove it quite hard.

Nich0lai, I've been living in Idiocracy for the past few years, nothing surprises me anymore. I have to deal with the stupidest clients at work.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]