It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 15 [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Project 2.5RSt
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:21 pm 
Professor Failburger!

Since the good ol' EJ251 in my RS was autocrossed to its death last weekend, I figure I should start a thread to document the swap. I figured Project 2.0RSt was pretty generic, so if you guys can come up with something catchy, I'll re-name the project :)

The car is a 2001 2.5RS which is currently sitting in my garage with 156k miles on the odo. The engine developed rod knock after my fourth run at the season opening CNY-SCCA autocross last Sunday. The car almost made it home, seized up about 2 miles from my apartment.

I've been collecting parts for almost a year now. Got a long block with a few damaged valves as well as a damaged shortblock and heads from another RIT alum last spring. Oddly enough, his engine made the same noises mine did shortly before its demise. I have his old rod bearings lying around here somewhere...I'll find them and post a few pictures. One set of rod bearings were mashed together and overlapping! Metal was everywhere in that engine. I've got the other engine with the damaged valves torn down in my garage at the moment. Everything else seems to be in great shape. This engine is supposedly out of an 02 with around 65k miles on it.

Craig was generous enough to sell me some extra parts from his engine swap, including a turbo cross member with p/s system, header, boost solenoid and alternator. Picked up an intake, throttle body, injectors, 2 WRX engine harnesses and an 03 WRX ecu from NASIOC. I also picked up the drivetrain out of an 06 WRX back in late fall. A guy from tri-states NY swapped in an STi transmission and rear diff, let his trans, driveshaft and rear diff with 25k miles go for 1200 picked up! Got a Perrin Catback for half price as a Christmas present for myself.

I'm still looking for a bunch of stuff, so be sure to check out my WTB thread --->http://www.cnysubies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3693

I ordered a ton of stuff today, courtesy of Uncle Sam and his generous tax refund:
Perrin 2 Piece Downpipe
Cosworth Tri-Metal crank and rod bearings
APS Turbo Inlet (wish it came in black, gonna have to paint it)
Perrin Fuel Rail Kit (black)
Samco 9 pc coolant line kit (black)
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

Got a whole lot of parts to order still...damn I'm good at spending money!

Last edited by ImprezaRS27 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2001 2.5 RS Coupe, Blue Ridge Pearl. #27 SM
2005 Forester XT - Aspen "Stripper" White
2003 Ford Expedition, Moby Dick White. Official CNY Subies Tow Vehicle - its purpose has been fulfilled - good bye!

Post subject: Re: Project 2.0RSt
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:31 pm 
Fiber Helps Me Go Faster

I think you should name it a WRS. I found the stock bpv hose if you need it too.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:44 pm 
Professor Failburger!

This project will definitely encompass a few phases, especially due to its somewhat urgent nature. The original plan was to have another car purchased before the swap commenced, originally by September. Now that I need to get this car back on the road, while still taking the required care and attention to detail, I'm glad I can borrow my parent's Ford Expedition in the mean time.

Phase I: Target Completion 6/6/09
>Swap engine and driveline, troubleshoot, ensure reliability

I'll be putting the EJ205 back together with a fresh set of bearings, water pump, seals, gaskets, etc. Power goals include a reliable Stage 2 setup: TD04, turbo back exhaust, complete intake overhaul, larger TMIC, other parts as recieved.
I know a setup like this is good for about 280 hp and will make for a fun daily driver.

Phase II: Target Completion 10/2009
At this point I really need to have another daily driver and parts collected to start working on making more power. Port match everything practical, sort out any kinks, optimize the stage 2 setup, learn to autocross a turbo car (Craig knows what I'm referring to - I like to call it turbo response management).

Phase III: Target Completion 4/2010 (pending steady employment :|
I'd like to be making at least 350 chp and as much torque as a 2.0L can muster. TD05-16G, Forged internals, slightly higher compression ratio, water injection, front LSD, R-comps. Optimize everything for fast turbo response and minimal lag.

Can't wait to get started! Time for bed...

2003 Ford Expedition, Moby Dick White. Official CNY Subies Tow Vehicle - its purpose has been fulfilled - good bye!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:17 am 
Major Trou

ImprezaRS27 wrote:
Craig was generous enough to sell me parts that were just taking up space in the garage that he really didn't need anyways.

Fixed for troof! :wink: Let's have a race. Who can build an engine first (and then we'll race to see who can break it first! :band: :unamused:). I'm supposed to drop off parts tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:29 pm 
Professor Failburger!

Hopefully I can get this block to last a bit longer than yours!

Dan and I got the harness trimmed down over the weekend. It's amazing how much wiring our cars have! Its also a total cluster in there because everything is ran together. You've got audio wires running next to your fuel pump lines right along with your interior and exterior lights! What a mess. I have some before, during and after pics, but I can't find the cord for my camera! Its buried here some where...I really should clean my desk off.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:56 pm 
Professor Failburger!

Ok, found the cord for the camera!

The harness as received from Dan:

Believe it or not, there's two separate pieces in there - the bulkhead harness, and the front body harness. Here are the two pieces laid out in my living room with everything that I'm keeping tagged. For reference, my living room is at least 15ft x 12ft.

Progress after Dan left, about 6:30 Saturday - only 6 wires left!

This is all that is used from the front harness - just the engine plugs that come in from the left fender.

Alas - severance!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:31 pm 
Professor Failburger!

So you're probably wondering what's what on this mess of wires - well here ya go...

Also got some parts last week...

Gates Racing timing belt, PCI timing belt tensioner and idler bearing kit

Subaru Engine Gasket/Seal Kit

And my favorite so far - TGV-less TGV's. JDM Lower Manifolds to be exact. Since I didn't have TGV's to begin with it was cheaper to order these from http://www.RalliSpec.com

A somewhat better quality casting without the butterfly features cast/machined in

More parts arriving soon!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:03 am 
Subie Tuner

Looking good! What was the final total on wires to merge into the RS harness? Did you figure out the fuel pump & main relay wiring yet?

'97 Legacy GT/WRX - Sold

Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:56 am 
Major Trou

Is that the TIC timing belt kit?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:27 pm 
Professor Failburger!

Number of wires to merge - I'll tally that up tonight after the SCCA meeting.

Fuel pump - plug it in with the WRX connectors:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/65042-my-swap-1999-rs-2002-wrx-9.html#post1180611

Main relay wiring - still have to figure it out. Hopefully, just fix the wire I cut.

Timing belt - Gates Racing

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:18 pm 
Professor Failburger!

Got the dash pulled out yesterday. Fairly simple task, especially with the FSM to show you where the hidden screws are.

Next, I have to remove the dash bar and HVAC components. Hit a snag at this point. There are 2 bolts that connect the dash bar to the transmission tunnel - unfortunately, the also hold the airbag module in - so they're security trox IIRC.

I have a set of torx bits, but of course, they don't have the center drilled out. Any one have the proper bit that I borrow?

When I can get the dash bar out, everything else should go smoothly...I hope.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:36 pm 
Subie Tech

Hey if you need some help "not that id be much as im still learning" but id love to learn as much as possible. let me know!

Keep the wheels ah spinin and the beavers grinin!!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:38 pm 
I AM THE MOZZARELLA STIG

Im pretty sure rob has the security torx bits. He needed them for when we did his steering wheel!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:41 pm 
Miss March

I got a set of security bits from harbor freight a while back, too bad I don't know where they are...

Unread postPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:48 pm 
Subie Tuner

Bringing the torx bits and soldering kit to bwwwww :tu

'97 Legacy GT/WRX - Sold

Page 1 of 15 [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next