It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SVX down for the count?
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 pm 
Moar Dew.

Well, the old engine "top harness" is back in, and it didn't seem to matter much - the hunting idle continued. I did some continuity testing on both harnesses when they were out last night, and they seem to be in pretty good order.

Garrison and I decided to look at the idle controls in the Hydra, and it turns out the damn thing is set all awry. It seems there's a max and min for overall idle control duty, as well as a coolant temperature based max and min. May as well double up, right? After adjusting the min down to zero, we messed with the PID (controls how quickly and smoothly the ECU moves toward the idle target) until it seemed about right. PID is craftily worded... Anyway, the thing idles closer to 900RPM than 1250RPM when warm, although target is still 800. I figure it's a hell of a lot better, regardless.

We didn't get to the road just yet. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow.

'00 Miata LS, Evolution Orange - Boosty!
'18 Crosstrek, Venetian Red Pearl - Lofty!
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:37 am 
Subie Tuner

ImprezaRS27 wrote:
I agree with your statement of cars being crazy. I was driving to PA on Saturday when one of the spark plugs in my truck decided it wanted out of the cylinder head. More on this in another thread. When I was wiring up my driving lights years ago, the temp where i was working fell about 30 degrees while I worked and when I started my engine up to go home it ran like crap for no reason with a CEL. Pulled the codes and 10 totally random codes were activated. Cleared them and they never came back again. :roll:

Back on topic, the lean one day to running like crap and crazy rich the next and Craig's mentioning the FPR failing could be your problem. Perhaps the FPR failed and having more flow from the fresh fuel filter finally killed it. We'll see what installing the new FPR does on Wednesday. Mine is mounted to an unused hole on my intake manifold. At what pressure is your injectors flow rating given? Also, I can't remember if you got what you needed to plug your wideband into the Hyrda.

:ot: that would be a ford wouldnt it?.... im guessing you changed your plugs at some point... this is a very common issue they make a repair kit i think you can get at napa its a pita but beats pulling the head....sorry for hijack

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:58 am 
Professor Failburger!

Yup, Ford 5.4 L. It's getting re-threaded today. Found on road (not quite) dead!

2001 2.5 RS Coupe, Blue Ridge Pearl. #27 SM
2005 Forester XT - Aspen "Stripper" White
2003 Ford Expedition, Moby Dick White. Official CNY Subies Tow Vehicle - its purpose has been fulfilled - good bye!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:01 pm 
Moar Dew.

A little PID reading that simplifies the process, for your inner geek:

<PID Controller Tuning: A Short Tutorial (Jinghua Zhong)>
<PID Controller Simplified (Radesh)>

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:44 pm 
Major Trou

I have books about PID controllers and laplace transforms for closed loop simulation. Fun...but complicated.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:09 pm 
Moar Dew.

She starts. She idles. She doesn't restart when warm. Crap!

After messing with the PID some, Garrison and I guessed our way to something reasonable. It seems that every time we adjusted it one way or the other, the AFR and idle speed decided one would improve while one got worse. It's pretty amazing that it's so much work to just get the car to sit still correctly!

In other news, the AEM wideband gauge's 0-5V output is wired to the Hydra now, so I can datalog, anyway. H'ray!

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:58 am 
Major Trou

Assume there are cold start enrichment tables? My WRX has enrichment tables that are referenced until the coolant reaches a certain point. Too rich? Coolant temp not set right? Coolant temp not being measured/read? I know my 440 will flood and not start if I choke it when it's warm.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:36 am 
The Flying Scotsman

Rob, not sure if you have checked it out or not but I would suggest checking your thermostat, if it is stuck open the engine will not get up to temp hence the fuel enrichment condition similar to what you get at cold start. This could also explain why it happened all of a sudden.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:09 pm 
Saab Story

the ECT (coolant temp sensor) is the devil on Subaru's. I think I replaced half of my engine bay before finding that it was one $17 part that messed everything up on my old Impreza.

Not sure if the H-6 has that same flaw.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:24 pm 
Moar Dew.

Mechie3 wrote:
Assume there are cold start enrichment tables? My WRX has enrichment tables that are referenced until the coolant reaches a certain point. Too rich? Coolant temp not set right? Coolant temp not being measured/read?

Yep, it has cold start enrichment. Oddly enough, I sure haven't adjusted it! I'm not quite sure whether it's too rich or too lean at warm temperature - it's adding 56% fuel at that point, but I can't say otherwise.

celticfc wrote:
Rob, not sure if you have checked it out or not but I would suggest checking your thermostat, if it is stuck open the engine will not get up to temp hence the fuel enrichment condition similar to what you get at cold start. This could also explain why it happened all of a sudden.

The Hydra shows the CTS finding its way to 190*F or so and maintaining.

I'm interested in finding whether I should place blame with the temperature-based enrichment table. It would make some sense. If this sample (from somewhere) map is any way indicative of what my map should look like, yeh, I'm way off:

I just don't understand why this would happen without any maps changing?

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:25 pm 
Major Trou

My map looks similar.

temp range: enrichment
-40 to -4: 50
14: 40.25
32: 30.55
50: 20.65
68: 10.8
86: 9.5
104: 5.50
122: 2.5
140: 1.5
zero then on up

Idle speeds are from 1700 to 1500 up to 104degrees. Drops to 1300 at 132deg, 1100 at 140, 875 at 158 and then holds steady at 700 from then on.

It's possible the hydra was using some other fuel trim to accomodate idle and when you changed the PID it was too slow to respond or gets caught in a loop and can't correct itself fast enough.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 pm 
Subie Tuner

just a thought.... does the svx have an ambient temp sensor? i know on some vehicles that can wreak havoc if that takes a crap or loses ground

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:20 pm 
Moar Dew.

justintypeR wrote:
just a thought.... does the svx have an ambient temp sensor? i know on some vehicles that can wreak havoc if that takes a crap or loses ground

Only for the HVAC ("AC" - haha!) - the Hydra uses a temp sensor in one of the intake runners.

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:15 pm 
Moar Dew.

I just took it up and down Northern Boulevard for a little acceleration run (perfectly legal, of course) and it seems to be in good shape - it pulls hard through the RPM range. It restarted at running temperature when I brought it home, as well.

The only problem right now is that if I'm idling at a standstill and give the gas a good, quick whap with my foot, it hesitates before it revs up. Any guesses?

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:19 pm 
Subie Tuner

are the passages in the throttle body clean ie for idle air control? is the tps adjustable at all?throttle cable binding at all? good connection between tps and hydra? what does it look like on the laptop when you do this? afr ect

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next