It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gauge Cluster Indicator Project
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:13 pm 
Moar Dew.

For whatever reason, in the middle of my cluster are seven square bulb housings stacked vertically. (Wait - P, R, N, D, 3, 2, ...1. Got it.) Be that as it may, I figured I could throw a few LEDs in them for some of the nifty functions that the Hydra and other accessories in the car to use. I'm considering:

* Knock light (via Hydra). Do I need to explain this one? Naw.
* Water injection powered/active/low fluid. The system's wired to the heated mirror switch, which is lit when the system is powered and is impossible to see through the steering wheel. As for the other two - good to know on both counts.
* Alarm status. A longstanding project if just for keyless entry, its demand is stronger now due to some wankers who've been messing with cars in my neighborhood.
* Radar detector indicator LED. Yeh, I'm going to install the BEL from the Pearly. STF, Craig.
* DCCD. I could put a bar array, numerical readout, or a simple varying brightness single LED in here. Hm.
* Coolant temp low (via Hydra). Karen's Forester has this, and I figure it would give me a lil' reminder of when to try to stay out of boost.
* Oil temp. Barring an actual gauge, I could have the Hydra indicate a threshold point (and datalog, fwiw) with just a sensor.

These rate as either outrageously useful, informative but unnecessary, functional but just shiny, and redundant glitz.

If I got crazy, I could insert some sort of temp indicator for the rear diff, but I don't know what the odds are that I'd threaten it! I think I'll leave that out.

Suggestions? Comments? Criticisms?

'00 Miata LS, Evolution Orange - Boosty!
'18 Crosstrek, Venetian Red Pearl - Lofty!
Image Image

Post subject: Re: Gauge Cluster Indicator Project
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:36 pm 
Subie Tech

More or quicker (i.e. low coolant or oil pressure) info is always good!

You will need to pay attention to diode polarity for some of the uses you noted. For simple switch to ground sensors (i.e. low coolant) it should not matter.

However, you will need to look at the outputs from that CPU box to determine how to connect the LED or it will not work as expected.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Gauge Cluster Indicator Project
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:41 pm 
tranny lube party host

My suggestion would be sequential shift lights

On the radar detector issue though: Why not make an external pod to house a V1 on top of the roof? I'm picturing a pod that looks very similar to the "cheater detector" pods they put on top of WRC cars. You could then run a normal V1 remote display wherever is convenient.

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]