It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Locations to get Pro Tuned?
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:00 pm 
Subie Fanatic

Hey all, I am the proud owner for a '11 STI hatchback. Looking for a good shop that carries Cobb AP to discuss options with.

I have shared a few emails back and forth with Innovative Tuning in Buffalo and they seem on top of their game when it comes to STI's. However, that is almost 4 hours away and I was wondering if you guys have suggestions in or close to Syracuse? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Locations to get Pro Tuned?
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:05 pm 
Subie Fanatic

While i have your attention, I have some overlays from bluebat that I am wanting to professionally done. I notice that CNY Solar is recommended for tinting-- would they do overlays as well? Here is what i got:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 pm 
Saab Story

Innovative Tuning, EFI Logics, Moon Performance, Evans Tuning....not sure who else exists around here. You could do a open source tune, start with a safe "off the shelf map" from a reliable tuner, and log pulls and get them fine tuned over the internet. From there you can go to a dyno and get some numbers to display.

Call up Bruno at CNY and ask, he may or maynot. Tails are a PITA to do, which is why he won't tint them. You could try installations unlimited in syracuse to do it...or any wrap shop that does decals/logos for cars (yellow pages).

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:16 pm 
Subie Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. Looks like Moon Performance is about an hour closer than Innovative Tuning.

So...

Innovative Tuning vs Moon Performance-- is either one known to be better than the other, or are they going to be about the same?

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 pm 
Saab Story

Check NASIOC, they have a lot of people who have been to both places with experience. I have only heard 1-2 people ever complain about Mike at Innovative, and usually those complaints are due to how busy he is all the time. Moon I have heard mixed things about the tuner (this was maybe 3-4 years ago), but it only takes a few people to piss off an entire forum.

Read around then call both and get a feel on what you want/expect from them, and what they have to offer.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 pm 
Miss March

I don't think OpenSource is an option for any of the new Subarus, the guy who did all their ECU definitions works for Cobb now.

I'm a fan of Mike at Innovative, he's a good guy. I need to go back to him for a pro-tune since I've gone stage 2 on my LGT

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:53 am 
Saab Story

Rutch wrote:
I don't think OpenSource is an option for any of the new Subarus, the guy who did all their ECU definitions works for Cobb now.

The RomRaider software/tactrix cable combo doesn't work with 08+ subies?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:56 am 
Miss March

Sleepr56 wrote:
The RomRaider software/tactrix cable combo doesn't work with 08+ subies?

There's a cutoff point somewhere, they're not all the same as they used to be. :?

EDIT: looks like there are experimental ECU definitions for the 2011 STi, still not officially supported by RomRaider though. I personally wouldn't trust it yet, too risky.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 am 
Saab Story

^^Good info., wasn't aware of the change.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:58 pm 
Subie Fanatic

Wow, great responses guys. Loving the forum already. I have been talking a lot with Mike at Innovative back and forth for about 15 emails or so. Seems extremely knowledgeable and very easy to work with. On top of that, he replies to my emails almost instantly.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:05 pm 
Subie Fanatic

UPDATE (Please read all, sticky situation):

I took the car into the local subaru dealer because I noticed a slight decrease in power/acceleration that I wanted to get looked at. They called me back and said they can't touch the car because it has already been modified (i bought the car with 10k miles on it).

-It had no cat converter and complete aftermarket catback exhaust (Not sure of the brand yet, will find out)
-Air box had been completely taken out and an intake had been placed near the right fender (tech said its possibly sucking in water into the engine)
-Check engine system had been altered so that nothing shows up on the dash

I got the car form an Acura dealer in NJ and i was told it was completely stock. Shame on me for not knowing, but I am still a newbie and did not know at the time. The Acura dealer claims to have not known either.

So, here are my options as of now:

Option 1: Take the car to NJ-- the dealer there said they contacted the previous owner and can get all the stock pieces back. They will then take the car to the Subaru dealer next door and have the car put completely back to stock and look for any issues causing the slow acceleration, and pick up the bill. They will give me a loaner car to drive back, and have the car delivered on a flatbed a few days later, along with all the aftermarket pieces for me to keep/use/sell.

This way, I can have the initial issue checked out under warranty and get the pieces i want back on (cat converter, airbox). Then eventually take the car to get tuned to Innovative Tuning and add on the exhaust down the road.

Option 2: Keep all the mods on the car, and take to Innovative Tuning to check everything out to make sure it was installed properly, and begin my mod adventure right away. Drawback to this of course would I would not be able to get this initial problem checked out under warranty.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This has been such a shock but I am doing my best to get it right. Let me know what you guys think.

*Mods, if this should be moved to the Subaru technical section, please let me know and I will create a new post*

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 am 
Saab Story

Hatch wrote:

-It had no cat converter and complete aftermarket catback exhaust (Not sure of the brand yet, will find out)
-Air box had been completely taken out and an intake had been placed near the right fender (tech said its possibly sucking in water into the engine)
-Check engine system had been altered so that nothing shows up on the dash

1.) - Most likely prior owner installed a turbo-back exhaust (downpipe, "cat pipe", midpipe, axle-back). You sould be able to take a peak at the exhaust tips to get an idea of the brand of the catback, and look at the top of the downpipe (left of the intercooler) to see if there is a brand on display. There may or may not be a heat shield covering the downpipe if it has been modified. Take some pics!

2.) Intake, again, just check for a brand or snap some pics. Most likely a cold air by the sounds of it. There is a *risk* of potentially sucking water into the intake if you were to submerge the filter in water while driving (deep puddle for example). Rare, but it can happen.

3.) If the CEL has been disabled, it sounds like there may be some software pre-installed on that ECU, maybe someone had a tune on it (cobb?). Your best bet is to track down the previous owner and find out what he had done when he/she turned it in. A member with a 08+ STi/WRX could plug into your car with a Cobb and see if there is any software on there.....

Dealer's are never mod friendly, so expect them to attack in most cases. Brian at Romano is very helpful to STi owners if you need a local tech to reach out to.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 am 
Saab Story

Hatch wrote:

I got the car form an Acura dealer in NJ and i was told it was completely stock. Shame on me for not knowing, but I am still a newbie and did not know at the time. The Acura dealer claims to have not known either.

So, here are my options as of now:

Option 1: Take the car to NJ-- the dealer there said they contacted the previous owner and can get all the stock pieces back. They will then take the car to the Subaru dealer next door and have the car put completely back to stock and look for any issues causing the slow acceleration, and pick up the bill. They will give me a loaner car to drive back, and have the car delivered on a flatbed a few days later, along with all the aftermarket pieces for me to keep/use/sell.

This way, I can have the initial issue checked out under warranty and get the pieces i want back on (cat converter, airbox). Then eventually take the car to get tuned to Innovative Tuning and add on the exhaust down the road.

Option 2: Keep all the mods on the car, and take to Innovative Tuning to check everything out to make sure it was installed properly, and begin my mod adventure right away. Drawback to this of course would I would not be able to get this initial problem checked out under warranty.

Poor of the Acura dealer for not knowing, but at the same time it's smart to do your research before buying. But not everyone is a car person.

Option 1 - sounds like a lot of money. If anything get the stock parts back from the dealer and bring them back here for you/someone to swap back on. Dealer may or may not find what is wrong even in stock form. Any competent shop can do a compression/leak-back test to see if your motor is in good shape (in regards to compression). Bearing/Turbo/other wear is TBD after that. Is your clutch slipping at all?

Option 2 - Talk to Mike. I am almost 100% positive he has dealt with cases like this before. You may be able to do all of the above steps right with him if he is willing.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:29 pm 
Subie Fanatic

Sleepr56 wrote:
1.) - Most likely prior owner installed a turbo-back exhaust (downpipe, "cat pipe", midpipe, axle-back). You sould be able to take a peak at the exhaust tips to get an idea of the brand of the catback, and look at the top of the downpipe (left of the intercooler) to see if there is a brand on display. There may or may not be a heat shield covering the downpipe if it has been modified. Take some pics!

2.) Intake, again, just check for a brand or snap some pics. Most likely a cold air by the sounds of it. There is a *risk* of potentially sucking water into the intake if you were to submerge the filter in water while driving (deep puddle for example). Rare, but it can happen.

Hopefully someone can tell based off these, it was just starting to get dark when i took them.

Pics of the exhaust (I did not see any names on the tips or downpipe but will recheck in day light):

Intake:

Overall:

Any idea what these are? The tech said that the exhaust was aftermarket from the cat pipe and back. This means it would have a stock downpipe and aftermarket catback-- right?

Like you suggested, I am working on getting in touch with the previous owner as well.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:46 pm 
Subie Fanatic

Sleepr56 wrote:
Dealer's are never mod friendly, so expect them to attack in most cases. Brian at Romano is very helpful to STi owners if you need a local tech to reach out to.

Perhaps the best idea at this point would be to have the Acura dealer send me all the stock parts and then let Brian at Romano return the car to stock-- and then hope he will troubleshoot the original problem under warranty?

And if they refuse the warranty because they determine that the issue was caused due to the mods, then finally turn to Brian at Innovative Tuning for everything as a last resort.

Thinking out loud here.. does this option make sense to you guys?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next