It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Project Rusty WRX
Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:01 am 
Subie Driver

So I just bought my first turbo'd subie, and thus my first real project car.
I know Mechie3 has already done this exact same project, but i want to make a project thread to share and track my progress :D
A little background rundown; $3250, rust, bad clutch, wrong brakes, rotted cradle and oilpan, bald tires, and shoddy electrical doodads...
The first few things i did were strictly for aesthetics... and my sanity.
The faux STi badge made me feel dishonest because people were saying "He bought an STi!" So it had to go.
Incoming over played "i badge"
I had Hella 500s waiting to go into my old Outback, but the new car took priority. Ordered some kartboy brackets.
My brakes were making a loud clunking on my trip to Rochester last weekend. Sounded like the wheel was gonna come off!
Upon further inspection, I found the wrong pads in the caliper bracket which were banging around! (Base Impreza or RS pads i think)
Upon even further inspection, I found the rotors were wrong too! They were 10.9" versus WRX spec ~11.6"
The pads were worn to all hell, but all had a thin sliver of full pad where no contact was made.
So I ordered EBC Sport rotors and Redstuff pads. They arrived today and I feel like a kid on Christmas!
So thats the first installment of Project Rusty WRX, Ill post pics of EBCs installed and impressions of them tommorow!
-Taylor

Post subject: Re: Project Rusty WRX
Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:31 pm 
Professor Failburger!

The car looks to be in decent shape for its age!

I've used EBC rotors and Redstuff pads. I liked them a lot, but that was back before my engine swap. I assume they would still work well for autocross even though my top speed is a bit higher after the swap. I remember they made a lot less dust and almost no noise, especially compared to the Hawk HP+ I use now.

2001 2.5 RS Coupe, Blue Ridge Pearl. #27 SM
2005 Forester XT - Aspen "Stripper" White
2003 Ford Expedition, Moby Dick White. Official CNY Subies Tow Vehicle - its purpose has been fulfilled - good bye!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]