It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Project: get Tim in a Subaru already
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:19 pm 
Subie Tech

this is not really a "project" yet so if there is a better place for it please feel free to move it.

Some of you guys might remember me from autocrossing way back around 2009-2010 or so. When my black '01 VW GTI failed on me I wanted to go Subie but bought a silver '06 GTI because I thought I was getting a good deal from a friend.
Cut to 3 years of me being absent in autocross because I could barely afford to keep the thing running/repaired and never had any spare $$ for autocross or modding.

then this happened:
freed from the chains of german auto oppression... at least once insurance is done deciding it's totaled *fingers crossed*

so I'm shopping for something, I'm not exactly sure what yet, but I am going to throw some ideas and questions out there. My budget may increase or decrease depending on how the insurance process plays out but lets say the $10k neighborhood.

needs:
wagon
boosted
manual

I am shying away from the WRXs because they are on the smaller side interior-wise and probably get beaten on harder than other models, plus I'm guessing insurance would cost more when you combine the public image of the WRX + my driving record (not great but not terrible... a couple points and this recent accident)

My main focus right now is figuring out if I want a Forester or a Legacy/Outback. I've peeped subaruforester.org and legacygt.com but both seem kind of biased towards their own model.
correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I'm finding about the two I'm currently trying to choose between

2nd generation Forester:
shares more with WRX/Imp so more mods available(?)
smaller cargo area (62" from hatch to back of front seats)
about 250lbs lighter(?)

4th generation Legacy/Outback:
shares less with WRX chassis, so not as easily modded(?)
bigger cargo (72" from hatch to back of front seats)
heavier, wider, longer wheelbase

that hatch to front seatback # is vital to me because I frequently carry an upright bass as a passenger and that big wooden bastard is about 72" as well. In the GTI this led to the neck sticking way up past the front seats and resulted in me having to shift like a doofus. I neglected to measure the GTI but I'm sure it's smaller than the Forester inside.

so to sum it up... I want a subie that's bigger than the GTI but will I have buyers remorse and curse myself for buying a land yacht that's harder to mod if I go for the one with the most space inside?

Post subject: Re: Project: get Tim in a Subaru already
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:56 pm 
tranny lube party host

In either of those cars you'll find the EJ25 (aka, the 2.5l WRX/STI motor) as an option. There are several different flavors of the EJ25 in all the different cars, but for the most part they only differ in turbo sizing, intercooler sizing and certain internal components. For the most part though you can just basically consider them all the same motor, as you can always swap in the magic parts you want from the different flavors if you wish later. To get the "EJ25", you'll want either a Legacy GT or a Forester XT

The suspension of the Forester is nearly identical to that of the Impreza, except has taller springs IIRC. There may be a difference in the control arms or the angle of the mounting bracket on the struts to accommodate alignment changes, but I'm under the impression it's very possible to put a "WRX suspension" on a Forester XT. Garrison and Rob both have 4th gen Forester's as dailies, with Garrison's being an XT - so they should both be able to give you first-hand knowledge on the matter.

[ROB EDIT]Actually, Garrison's is a 2nd gen and mine is a 3rd gen.[/ROB EDIT]

I'm not sure how much this holds true for the Legacy, but I would be surprised if some level of suspension upgrades aren't available.

What kind of mods are you looking to do?

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:59 pm 
Subie Tech

thanks Scott, that answered a lot of my broadest questions.

Suspension/chassis stiffening is probably most of what I would like to do on either car, although catching up to a stock STi in terms of power would also be something I would like to do once the handling is where I would like it to be.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:10 am 
Moar Dew.

Here's a quick filter:

Second gen Foresters are your last chance at an XT with a manual transmission. They're also the last of the "flingable" ones - even at full height, they're a whole lot of fun to drive. Unfortunately, the XT/5MT is pretty hard to find. Also unfortunately, Ken M. from parts south of here just sold his. Gotta work on that timing...

Be that as it may, cargo is best square in the Forester and uh, oversquare in the Legacy wagon.

Note that we have a very fast modern Legacy among the forum's collective fleet.

Priority one: Make sure your bass and beard fit comfortably.

Being me, I'd advise the Legacy.

'00 Miata LS, Evolution Orange - Boosty!
'18 Crosstrek, Venetian Red Pearl - Lofty!
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:16 am 
Subie Fanatic

I don't know how far your willing to travel....

http://usedcars.automobilemag.com/ni/classifieds/203954434/3279/

Here it is at the dealer

http://www.majorworld.com/used-search/NY-New-York/2005/Subaru/Legacy%20Sedan%20(Natl)/-/2005/52/1177/0/2/1

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 am 
Moar Dew.

^^ Sedan needs moar wagon. :wi:

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:30 am 
Subie Tuner

You can't go wrong with either choice imho, though both are getting harder to find.

'97 Legacy GT/WRX - Sold

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:23 pm 
Subie Tech

Agreed, a bit hard to find but I do keep seeing examples of what I would like being recently sold...

this foz would've been good I think and not too far away in PA / another recently sold example

(to answer Atta_Girls question, I will drive for a good car but not much further than MA, PA, NJ etc.)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:53 pm 
Major Trou

LetItSnow wrote:
Note that we have a very fast modern Legacy among the forum's collective fleet.

The modern legacy is a bit different from the last gen legacy as it has the low front mount turbo. They only made that in wagon form for non US markets. I saw one when I was in Tokyo and it actually looked pretty slick. The last gen legacy wagons in 5MT are a bit harder to find. I know several that have them and most of them don't want to let them go. It does seem as though it would fit a bass better than a forester.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:13 pm 
Moar Dew.

Ah, yeh, I forgot about the turbo / MT / wagon thing. You'd figure that dads everywhere would find that to be a reasonable compromise for lifestyle and sport?

It looks like cargo space, a stick and a stock turbo'd motor will be found in a Forester XT.

...or a Baja...

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:31 pm 
Subie Tech

LetItSnow wrote:
...or a Baja...

noooooope. this particular bass has managed to avoid becoming firewood since 1946 and I intend to keep it that way by having it ride in climate controlled comfort.
speaking of comfort, heated seats would be a plus, like in this Legacy

just got a call from my mechanic. an adjuster stopped by and took a gander today, didn't even want to see it up on the lift so that's good news, sounds like it will be swiftly totaled.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:19 am 
Miss March

Yeah, the 5th gen Legacy GT doesn't come in a wagon, but it does have a poo of room in the backseat and the seats fold down. :lol:

A 4th gen Legacy GT wagon or Outback XT would be sweet, but they're also pretty rare to find in a MT. If you find one, jump on it!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:19 pm 
Subie Tech

GTI is officially totaled so more serious shopping is almost ready to begin.

good buddy who is also on here but hasn't posted in a while, poorboysracing, just sent me a link to this one:

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/4304497657.html
at 27 days old and knowing the market for these it's probably sold but nice find.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:48 am 
Subie Fanatic

chopsy wrote:
GTI is officially totaled so more serious shopping is almost ready to begin.

good buddy who is also on here but hasn't posted in a while, poorboysracing, just sent me a link to this one:

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/4304497657.html
at 27 days old and knowing the market for these it's probably sold but nice find.

Yeah they go quick. I signed the papers for mine and another salesman was out effing around in it on the phone, and my sales guy went out and said it was sold. Apparently someone from buffalo made an over the phone offer. Lol

Nice looking Foz though! I find there are a lot more options for that year/body style for modding than mine (09) but I still love it.

We saw a Baja for sale on Craigslist, the ad was not even a day old, and the guy already sold it. They are getting harder and harder to find.

I'll suggest if you are looking for an XT, head over to the subaruforester.org forums, they have a for sale/ looking for area..... at least there you will know what kind of Foz your getting.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:23 pm 
Subie Tech

Atta_Girl wrote:
I'll suggest if you are looking for an XT, head over to the subaruforester.org forums, they have a for sale/ looking for area..... at least there you will know what kind of Foz your getting.

yep I am haunting those boards quite regularly because I think I am leaning towards the FXT. Right now it seems the only manual transmission ones on there that aren't west coast are heavily modded and out of my price range. I do see steals popping up now and then in the 7k ballpark which would be awesome to come across as that is what I'm really shooting for.

here's another promising one. I like that there are two sets of wheels

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next