It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: navigating Stage 2 upgrade and New York emission rules
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm 
Subie Driver

Hi All,

New transplant to CNY from Virginia. 2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT Regal Blue Pearl. In VA we have to pass emissions and there are limitations on requiring a cat on any aftermarket downpipe.

When I got here to NY, I had sent an email to a shop in Buffalo inquiring about stage ii install, and learned about the minefield of fines for violations of shops selling and installing these parts.

From what I gather, most get someone to install an uppipe and catted downpipe on the side, then take it somewhere to get tuned. For inspection, they take it somewhere that just plugs into the car and as long as a CEL doesn't go off its good. And there are ways of installing the parts properly to avoid issues when connected to the computer. It seems rare that anyone does a visual inspection.

Aftermarket exhausts seem similarly illegal, but they are issues when cops just want to throw something else at when they are mad.

I currently have a Cobb AP and custom off the shelf stage 1 tune from a Tuning Alliance. I want to get an Invidia Up-pipe, and catted invidia down pipe installed and get a pro-tune. I am also considering getting a Borla Hush or nameless cat back exhaust put in at the same time.

I live in Rome, NY, and don' have access to tools, lift, jack etc.

Can someone suggest a route to go for finding someone local to install the parts, so I can take it to buffalo or Albany for a pro tune?and then a suggestion for inspection shop that just does the once over?

thanks

Post subject: Re: navigating Stage 2 upgrade and New York emission rules
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:01 pm 
Miss March

Where'd you ask in Buffalo? Innovative Tuning shouldn't have an issue installing those parts, and then you could get tuned at the same time. Its a bit of a hike from Rome, but if you want to make a day of it then it'd probably be worth the trip to get it all done at once.

I just go to the local Monro Muffler for my inspection and they don't seem to give a darn about my catted Invidia DP. The Subaru dealership on the other hand didn't like the TurboXS DP on my old car, even though it was catted. I've never had an issue at a small place though.

If you haven't had an NYS inspection yet, I'd suggest getting it before you get all your parts installed just for the sake of simplicity. Then you've got a year to worry about the next one.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:59 am 
tranny lube party host

+1 on just going to a corner store for your inspection. Places that are used to seeing cars that are falling apart will only really care that all your lights work, your brakes are in good shape, and that the computer says it's ok - and then will gladly move on to the next car.

Something to consider is that most shops loose money on inspections, unless they find something they can bill to fix. They'll gladly install light bulbs or do brake jobs for you to make some money.... but shops like that are less than interested in diving in to the emissions system beyond possibly throwing in an o2 sensor.

As for the exhaust... NY has a rather silly exhaust rule IMHO. Basically it says it's 100% up to the officer's discretion - if he thinks your 60db car is too loud, then he can write you a ticket.... unless it's stock. The only objective aspect of the law is a clause that dictates that the stock exhaust is by definition ok.... if you vary at all from stock (louder or quieter), you're at the mercy of the officer and how nice you think his tie looks. That said, I've heard arguments that it wouldn't hold up in court unless the officer could prove that your car sounded different from stock - and unless he's got a db meter and a matching 2005 Subaru Legacy GT with the same options list in the same environmental conditions - he wouldn't be able to prove that.

As for the cats... I did some googling and found this: http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/90781.html . NY now requires CARB compliance? Really? Not a fan....

#159 in whatever the class du jour is

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:15 am 
Miss March

Scootin159 wrote:
NY now requires CARB compliance? Really? Not a fan....

Just for the specs on the cats, not the rest of the CARB poo. I think most of that pertains to people replacing their OEM catalytic converter that's either been stolen or burnt out. And even then, a performance shop isn't going to care, they'll still do the work they love.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:04 pm 
Major Trou

I ran around NY without cats, no airpump, no TGV's. Car wasn't super loud, but wasn't quiet either. Went to a non subaru dealership for my inspection. As long as the ECU checked out I went on my way.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]