It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 96 legacy transmission conversion
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:46 am 
Subie Driver

hey guys,

so i have a 1996 legacy, 250k (engine still running strong!) that has a transmission that seems to be slipping pretty bad. im a delivery driver, and even though the legacy is an automatic, my preference is standard. since i bought the car (even though it was pretty ugly, it was love at first sight) i had considered swapping the tranny. as of late, i had gotten pretty serious, and when i was faced with dragging it out to my brothers 50 miles away to put some serious work into it or selling it, i made up my mind that i wanted to keep this car, and it needed to have a stick. now im a new guy when it comes to mechanics, and i know that especially for myself, this is a serious undertaking. i have people who can help me, but right now im just looking to find the process (im hoping for a step by step that would have a list of parts that need to be replaced or bought) of doing the matter, mainly so i can get a list of new parts i will need so i can price them. now if there is already a thread that can tell me everything i would need to know, please point me in that direction. if not, i am eager to gain this new knowledge! i have a strong passion about cars, and i love subarus (we had 3ft of snow in one night this past winter, and she powered through it like a champ. never left me stranded, never got her into a situation i couldnt get her out of), and i am aware that this is a task i should NOT undertake by myself. like i mentioned previously, i have people who can assist me, who have some (if not plenty) experience doing this. but i live under a budget (this is a project im not expecting to finish until at least winter, mainly because there is other work on the vehicle that needs to be done), and even though they would just be there to supervise, i plan on reimbursing any help i get. that being said, i would like to come into starting this task with as much knowledge about doing this as possible. looking forward to starting this job!

Post subject: Re: 96 legacy transmission conversion
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:53 pm 
Subie Tuner

You're going to need s laundry list of parts, the only cost effective way to do it will be sone quality time at a u-pull yard or a conplete manual parts car. Off the top of my head you'll need a manual trans, driveshaft, Rear diff, possibly axles, clutch, flywheel, manual ecu, gear linkage, pedal box, clutch master cylinder, line & slave cylinder, center console trim. The swap is very similar to a gc impreza, you should be able to find plenty of info on RS25.

Given all that, I'd chuck another junkyard auto in it and start looking for a nice manual 2.5gt, preferably one that has had the headgaskets replaced. Swapping yours to manual just isn't going to be worth the effort.

'97 Legacy GT/WRX - Sold

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:39 pm 
Subie Driver

thanks for the list... im still looking for any other items ill need... i was thinking of running the auto for now though because i saw someone with a 96 legacy with an 05 wrx motor and tranny? THAT kind of swap i would be highly interested in... even if not i wouldnt mind upgrading to the 2.5. couple of questions though:

1)would it be a good idea for me to buy a crate or refurbished engine if im doing the manual swap? i would like to put some jdm or aftermarket parts (if anyone can point me to a website that will open me to the aftermarket, well, market that would be awesome. the only brand i know of is jdm. sorry to sound like a n00b but basically thats what i am.)
2)if my current legacy doesnt have a turbo, would it be possible to install one?

again, any threads will be appreciated. im keeping eyes out for junked cars for sale as well. also, what years of subies is my car compatible with (ie, which years have parts that are interchangeable with mine)? thanks again.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:43 pm 
Subie Driver

another question, do i need to change the front differential as well?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:46 am 
Miss March

JDM means Japanese Domestic Market, it is not a brand. So a JDM motor would be a motor out of a Japanese car and may or may not be compatible with what you have now. JDM parts may or may not work on your car. Personally I wouldn't even venture down that road.

There isn't a ton of aftermarket stuff for a 96 Legacy, and what there is available isn't going to give you much bang for your buck. Maybe throw some suspension bits at it to make it ride better, but that's about it. Intakes and exhausts don't do much but make noise on these cars.

Adding a turbo to an engine with 250k on it is a recipe for disaster.

Front diff is part of the transmission, shouldn't need another one.

AussieDan wrote:
Given all that, I'd chuck another junkyard auto in it and start looking for a nice manual 2.5gt, preferably one that has had the headgaskets replaced. Swapping yours to manual just isn't going to be worth the effort.

Dan nailed it. For what you'd end up spending on a manual trans swap you could probably find a 90's 2.5GT with a manual already in it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:56 pm 
Subie Tuner

If you're thinking you want to do a WRX conversion that does change things a bit, but it sounds like you'll need to do a lot of research before you're ready to tackle a job like that. There are a number of different ways to skin that cat but it's a lot of work no matter which way you go and being in NYS complicates things a bit since you need to remain OBD2 legal (need a USDM ecu and emissions equipment). If there is any rust in your existing shell again it's just not worth the effort, sell it and buy something clean.

If you really like the 2nd gen Legacy looks (and I do) then it's certainly possible to swap almost any Subaru engine/trans combo into one, but again it's only really worth it if you want a fast 2nd gen legacy. The good news is that the 2nd gen legacy borrows heavily from both GC and GD impreza chassis so you can use a lot of performance parts from the Impreza.

If you just want a faster car it's going to be way simpler to fix & sell your car then expand the search to factory turbo cars like the wrx or gen 4 legacy gt.

Oh yeah, I know what I'm talking about with this stuff ;)

'97 Legacy GT/WRX - Sold

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]